Back Trim Castle

Trim Castle

Logo Trim Castle
  • Name: Trim Castle
  • Address: Trim, Co Meath.
  • Phone Number: 046 943 8619
  • Email: trimcastle@opw.ie

Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, was constructed over a thirty-year period by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Hugh de Lacy was granted the Liberty of Meath by King Henry II in 1172 in an attempt to curb the expansionist policies of Richard de Clare, (Strongbow).  Construction of the massive three storied Keep, the central stronghold of the castle, was begun c. 1176 on the site of an earlier wooden fortress. This massive twenty-sided tower, which is cruciform in shape, was protected by a ditch, curtain wall and moat. 

Location: Trim Town Centre (Trim is a Heritage Town).

Bus Route(s): Contact Bus Eireann, Travel Centre +353 1 8366111
    
Guided Tours:
Access to the keep is by guided tour only
Maximum number: 20     
Duration: 45 minutes

Last tour 1 hour before closing.
Access to the Keep is by guided tour only for safety reasons.

Opening Hours

Easter -  30 September:  Daily 10.00 - 18.00

1 - 31st October: open daily 09.30 - 17.30, and then for weekends only till Easter.

From November to January: Weekends only 09.00 - 17.00

February - Easter: Weekends only 09.30 - 17.30