Back Woodbrook Golf Club

Woodbrook Golf Club

Logo Woodbrook Golf Club

Welcome to Woodbrook Golf Club

Perched on top of one hundred foot seacliffs, landscaped on all sides and steeped in history, Woodbrook offers a new challenge to today's golfer.rom the 75th Anniversary book

Over the years, many thousands of men, women and youngsters have enjoyed what Woodbrook Golf Club had to offer, and today a membership which is more than double the original figure continues to enjoy those facilities.

Woodbrook is not just a golf course. It is a place of beauty, an oasis bounded by unrivalled views of the Irish Sea on one side and the blue haze of the Dublin and Wicklow Mountains on the other. If it wasn t for the DART rattling along between the fairways, tired golfers might succumb to the wafting sea breezes or the heavy pollenscented air that rolls in waves over the greens on summer evenings.

Nature has done its bit for Woodbrook, but the club we know and play today exists largely due to the efforts of a myriad of stalwart and far seeing members who were at the helm down through those seventy five years that the club has been in existence.

These are the Captains and the Presidents and dedicated officers and committee men and women who did their bit, year after year, to make sure they passed something worthwhile on to future generations of golfers. You only have to glance at the names of these ladies and gentlemen to see that many of them are the fathers and grandfathers of existing members, clearly illustrating a strong tradition of family service to the club.

It is interesting to note that the first lease was drawn up during the second year of Captaincy of C.S. Tighe in 1928. It was for 21 years at a rent of £850, when activities were confined to sheep grazing and the playing of golf, tennis, cards and other games . What a pity we got rid of the sheep - if they were still around the rough might be a lot easier! The professional appointed in 1926 was Pat O Connor, and by all accounts the club never had a more dedicated or popular member of staff. He retired forty-two years later in 1968.

The former putting green - now the chipping area - came into existence in 1932, the creation of Herbert Phillipson, and because it had a large tree in the middle, was for a long time known as Phillipson’s Folly”A lot of members may not realise that up until 1958 the club premises consisted of the original cricket pavilion and diners had the use of part of the Cochrane house, where a restaurant, kitchen and card room were situated.

Visit